Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Mixt Tape Process

I recently did a painting for the Mixt Show presented by Mint Art Gallery. I titled my work "Side One is the Loneliest Number". Most of my accompanied mix tape featured some of my favorite sad bastard music such as "Lover, You Should've Come Over" by Jeff Buckley, and "Love and Some Verses" by Iron & Wine. It was a quick piece done in a few days using my spare time. I thought everyone would have my same idea. A very simple painting of a mix tape. But to my surprise, no one did. Here's how I came to the final product, in all it's J Trav lookin' style.

[1] First, a quick pen sketch.




[2] Then, I live traced it in Illustrator to give that satisfying cleanliness.




[3] After that, I experimented with color variations until I found one I liked.





[4] A two day paint job utilizing my available paints and my colorblind eyes. 11" x 15".





[5] And finally, the finished product displayed at the Mint Gallery.

No comments: